Wednesday, October 22, 2008

How I handled conflict

I didn't think our behaviors that day can be broken up into such precise categories, but after reading the five types, I can picture at least one person for each.

Now, let's talk about me.
I wasn't assertive, and didn't compete to win. As someone mentioned in class, there were too many people trying to lead as is. Also, it's easier said than done in a room of 80 anxious students.
At times, I felt like avoiding the battle all together, but i didn't, because i didn't want someone else deciding my fate. Similar to voting for our president, now that i think about it.
I wasn't accommodating, because ultimately I did worry more about myself and my grades, than anyone Else's.
When we were still in the discussion stage in our little groups, I collaborated. We bargained, negotiated, and eventually got everyone in our micro-council on board.
Most of all, I compromised, but not because I was pressured. During discussions, I considered each suggestion for the students who aced the exam, and for those who didn't. Therefore, it was a compromise, instead of being inconsiderate to the other side of the spectrum.

I didn't particularly choose this method, because I wasn't aware of these methods at the time. However, I felt it was the best action, because of the intimidating class size. In the aftermath, everyone mentioned that the most difficult part was dealing with 80 people, that have different strengths, weaknesses, and more important opinions.

What I should have done, was studied harder for the test, gotten a 100, and then be accommodating to the people who did poorly, since I wasn't going to be affected negatively by it.
Since that didn't happen, and I am stuck with a less than desirable grade, I would have stayed where I was, a compromising classmate. My desirable result differed from everyone else's, since we all care about our individual grades, but ultimately what we all wanted was to agree. And since agreement was our collective desirable result, I feel I was where i needed to be; by compromising.

2 comments:

david song said...

Honestly speaking, I can't really say exactly where I played a role in the decision making because in reality, I think I played in more than one at different times. I can't really picture anyone playing a specific role because I think everyone changed their role as time went by. I thought that this whole decision making process was interesting because there were so many different things going on at once, in terms of personality, behavior, and action. It was a great way to demonstrate such a process because now we can see what really goes on and how it goes on.

Andrew Yuen said...

I think the five types of behavior are pretty accurate although some of the reasonings for them might be different for different people. For example, someone who is behavior is avoidance, might not be because of them being overwhelmed. But it might be the case for someone else. And the roles can be changed depending on what one is feeling. It seems like you considered the best for everyone, but still worrying about your own agenda. This is a very difficult task to do. Compromise is an important skill to learn. It seemed not a lot of people were not willing to compromise that day and just wanted their own agendas to be expressed. And I also agree that studying harder to get a better grade would be ideal. Then you be in a less stressful situation. I think accommodating and compromising is similar because you are still concerned about the others. It is just that the personal interest level is slightly different.