My goals and vision aren’t as specific as I would like, or as you would expect. I was told that first you must learn, then earn, and then give back. Well I’m learning now, I hope I earn after I graduate, but my I’m mostly looking forward to giving back. However, I don’t want to wait until I’m retired to do so.
My vision is to help those less fortunate than me in foreign countries, particularly animals, by volunteering and donating my time and efforts. As many of you, I am not looking forward to a 9-5 job with a 2 week/yr vacation. I hope to find a job that allows me the freedom to travel around the world, and fulfill my desire to help.
This past summer I backpacked through Thailand, and had somewhat of an epiphany. I read about it, watched movies set there, and heard stories from friends, but it wasn’t until I saw it with my own two eyes that I was affected by it. This experience left me wanting more, and I plan to continue traveling through Southeast Asia after graduation for a few months, and volunteer where I can. There are many opportunities to volunteer around the world, and I recommend everyone to experience it at least once. For example, this upcoming spring break, you can get a tan while saving animals in Costa Rica. My vision is to save the world one elephant at a time, and maybe it can become your vision too!
My vision is to help those less fortunate than me in foreign countries, particularly animals, by volunteering and donating my time and efforts. As many of you, I am not looking forward to a 9-5 job with a 2 week/yr vacation. I hope to find a job that allows me the freedom to travel around the world, and fulfill my desire to help.
This past summer I backpacked through Thailand, and had somewhat of an epiphany. I read about it, watched movies set there, and heard stories from friends, but it wasn’t until I saw it with my own two eyes that I was affected by it. This experience left me wanting more, and I plan to continue traveling through Southeast Asia after graduation for a few months, and volunteer where I can. There are many opportunities to volunteer around the world, and I recommend everyone to experience it at least once. For example, this upcoming spring break, you can get a tan while saving animals in Costa Rica. My vision is to save the world one elephant at a time, and maybe it can become your vision too!

11 comments:
It's so true, we don't have to wait to help. It's easier done than many might think. Sometimes a small donation goes a long way, a volunteering event here and there makes a big difference, even just being aware of certain things can encourage a positive change. It's really about our attitudes towards the rest of the world. The fact that elephants are dying out because people have been after ivory profits for so long is heartbreaking and unfortunately only a small factor in the boiling pot.
I am very impressed by your courage and your dedication. You have a big heart and the ambition to help. There are many humanitarian & animal organizations where you can actually work and earn a living at the same time. Thank you for caring about our planet and yes, lets tan while saving animals in Costa Rica!
You have the goal to travel around the world just like me. :D As the matter of fact, I am from Thailand. I'm glad you enjoyed it there. Your voluntary work for animals is a great idea. I am also an animal-lover and I am highly against animal cruelty. Whenever I see animals, such as elephants, get treated horribly I always feel offended and wanted to do something about it. Your vision to save animals is now becoming my part of my vision too!
That is so inspiring. There should definitely be more people like you in this world. Backpacking somewhere out of the United States has always been a dream for me in high school. But I was always too afraid to go. I didn't, and still don't, know the life outside the city. It's really sad, I know. I think it's amazing that your vision is to save animals. It takes a lot of humility to give your life to such a cause. I truly believe that giving your life for another, whether it's a person, animal, or the environment, rewards life with the most fulfilling feelings. People who work on Wall Street, make millions, live in mansions, and life selfishly, and always want more and more, are never satisfied. If you live out your vision, I honestly believe it will come with a life satisfaction guaranteed. Embrace it!
The world needs more people like you. I think people know what is right and wrong, yet lack the courage and determination to make a change. You have courage bigger than an elephant, and you shouldn't just share your experience on your blog, but share it elsewhere to attract more people to your cause and vision. I'm sure your story will inspire others to make a difference, and maybe even build a support circle so you can create your own foundation to save the elephants....
We share a great passion, which is helping others, might it be animals , humans or even the environment. Its great that you got to experience first hand what it is that you desire to do with the rest of your life. Not many people can say that they have had epiphanies about the rest of their lives. All i have to suggest is that you merely have to keep your eye your prize. Being a humanitarian isn't easy and there will be other things that will be shiny and blue and catch your attention keep your eye on the ball.
You really have a good dream, a dream that i never thought of to be. After i read about your vision, you seemed to like the animals a lot, and want to save them, and you also like to travel. I'm thinking maybe you can be a type of animal doctor who voluntarily go around the world, and helps to save the animals. But asking other people for donations are a good way too.
I'm pleasantly surprised at all the responses I got. Thank you for your encouraging comments, and support.
Regarding Costa Rica, this is one example of the type of volunteer opportunities out there: http://www.tropicaladventures.com/index.php
There are many more, to other parts of the world as well.
I'm touched by the comments made against animal cruelty.
Thailand was the first adventure of many for me, and I hope that I can continue on this journey and inspire others outside of Kurpis' class.
Hii, you are very special person because you care so much about the animals. Most of the Baruch students I have met only talk about, how after earning their college degree, they are awaiting to enter a professional and successful life. However, out of the 16,000 there is you who is earning a college degree in order to save and protect the endangered animals. I wish you the best and hope to encounter more like you.
I am really inspired by this posting. I believe giving back is the greatest richness a person could have. Helping those in need is the core of ultimate wealth within one self. I do non profit work now and I join it. I also went to New Orleans 2 years ago to rebuild home, and it was one of the greatest experiences that have had this far. Keep up the good work and your uniqueness. All I hear at Baruch is money talk.
Once again, thanks for the support. New Orleans sounds like an amazing experience. I am glad so many of you feel as I do about the money hungry Baruch students. Everyone has a dream, and even though mine is green, it's not money.
Hey, its paul in response to your comment. I agree with you that we should never forget family and happiness. And alot of times in the future, somthings gotta give. But make no mistake, if i had to choose between riches and family, i wouldnt even blink and pick family :)
Post a Comment